Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The power of prayer



Everyone knows that this year has been tough financially for everyone, with gas prices being high and groceries and everything else costing more. Questions enter the minds of those of us that don't have a whole lot extra after bills, how am I going to afford car repairs, or winter clothes for the family? I'll tell you the perfect solution.
PRAYER.
This year has been a learning experience for me, from dealing with hormone issues, terrible two's, my sweet little Jake learning to backtalk, and other minor issues. There were tough times, but this year is probably the time in my life that I have prayed the most and been blessed the most. When I was pregnant with Jacob, I didn't know what I was going to do, I wasn't married, the church wanted me to give Jacob up for adoption and Matt and I had a tough relationship. But this is where alot of prayers were said.
Matt and I got married, we had Jacob and were blessed with everything we needed for him and then some. We will be celebrating our 7 year anniversary in January and I have never felt more blessed. Prayer was what brought sense to my life at that time 6-7 years ago, and somewhere along those lines, I forgot that God will always take care of me if I ask for his help.
Every tough time I have had this year, has been followed by prayer and everything has worked out, and that is no coincidence, that is the Lord working in my life. He has taught me patience, and how to manage my time between my kids and husband and he has helped me out in many situations this year.
I have been able to stretch a dollar and pinch a penny and pay all my bills, afford winter clothes, and find great deals on Christmas presents. I have gone out of town and made it back safely, I avoided a very expensive speeding ticket. I have had close calls and almost gotten into a few accidents, but got away unscathed. My husband has been able to keep his job in the economic crisis and get a bonus and raise. And everyday I am thankful.
Some people that know me from high school, probably know that I didnt know Shane Figueroa very well. He was just a cute guy I passed in the halls. Shane's mom was PTO president at my high school, and having my own mom be PTO president at my elementary school, I know all the time and work that goes into the job. With her contribution to our school, and our school being like family, hearing the news about Shane made me want to give back to the Figueroa family. As a wife and mother, I dont know what I would do if I lost my husband. I am a stay at home mom, so I could not support my family, and with a tragedy like that, it wouldn't be easy to keep it together and be a good mom to my kids. It is such a tragedy that someone who was just starting out in their life as a family, dies at the hands of a drunk illegal immigrant.
From one mom to another, from one wife to another, I wanted to help Melisha and Kenzlie. I prayed about it and I wanted to do a fundraiser. I knew I wanted to make stickers to memorialize Shane. I had a friend that does vinyl lettering, but she is really busy for the Christmas season. Then I talked to the girls at church about it and a couple of the girls in my MOPS group (mothers of preschoolers) and their husbands are cops. So I got in touch with Stephanie, a girl in my discussion group and she got in touch with an officer that her husband works with and his wife makes the stickers. And the police station is down the street from my house, so i am able to just stop by and pick up the stickers. I have prayed about how to get the word out and Kristina Foulias, a friend from high school, decided to make a song to go with the sticker and she is trying to spread the word with that. And I was finally able to get in touch with the Figueroa's and they want 12 stickers! And a few people have offered to help cover the cost of the stickers for the Figueroas. I am getting more and more people saying they want to get the stickers too. All of this wouldnt have been possible without getting down on my knees and asking the Lord for help.
All of the money from these stickers goes to Melisha and Kenzlie through the 100 club as it gets donated.

So for those of you who are having a tough time, God is always there for you. You just have to talk with him. He works wonders, he is amazing, he blesses me everyday! And he will do the same for you.

2 comments:

Suarez Cartel said...

Isn't it awesome that we have a God who loves us. Who wants to have a personal relationship with us. Who speaks to us directly! I love speaking with my Lord, too! I'm so glad that you and Matt are happy. Marriage is difficult but so worth it. I remember your humble ceromony with Paul by the water falls. It was a wonderful night that united two people for 7 (and more to come) years. Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Klem!

Donna/Mom said...

Stephy,
I am so proud of you and the lovely young woman, mother and wife you have become. I am just so impressed with you. You are such a joy to your mother. I love you and have enjoyed watching you and your family grow.
love auntie donna