As most of you know, the Klem house has gone a little green. Now I'm no hippie, tree hugging nut, but there are some things we can do to not waste so much. For instance, Alyson doesnt wear disposable diapers anymore, she wears cloth diapers. They arent cheap, but they are darn cute and I loved picking out each of the 35 adorable pink and girly diapers that cover her cute little bum!! Well there are some in there that arent pink, but most of them are. Each pocket diaper is made with Pul-polyurithane lining, so it doesnt leak. then its got a layer of cotton, and a liner that goes between the two to prevent leaking. I also have some diapers that are AIO-All in one and they are silk on the outside and cotton on the inside.
Here's a picture of Alyson in one. I know you can't really see it, but its not a regular diaper.
We also have our very own recycling officer who lives in the house. If you dont recycle even one single piece of paper or soda can, you will answer to this guy! Don't mess with him, looks can be deceiving!
One more thing we do, is we use reusable grocery bags. Fry's sells them for a dollar each and so does Sprouts and I also got a few from Go-Againbags.com. I take my bags everywhere, even Target and Walmart.
I think I got into all this going green stuff from a parenting book that listed the con's of disposable diapers and from there I just got interested in ways to quit wasting certain things that could be reused. Perhaps I am trying to make up for the energy my huge T.V. takes up or perhaps I am making up for the fact that even though its supposed to be fall, I still have my thermostat at 76! But I encourage you all to try and do something to cut down on waste, or to save energy. Be creative and share your stories with me!
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Going.....Going...... Green!!!
Posted by Matt and Stephanie at 2:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good for you guys! We've been green for quite a while, out here on the ol' farm! And it's not because we believe in global warming! As a scientist, Alan simply cannot abide by all the hoopla about global warming. We're simply in a cycle! But we are called to be good stewards of what we have been given and that includes this earth we live on. Love the pics!
Oh Stephy Wephy how I love you!! So, email me a link to this place you get diapers...am I going to buy them and start using them...probably not but I still want to check it out. I do have the gerber cloth diapers with pins in with my food storage items but that is it. I like the reusable bags, but knowing me I would forget to bring them with. I think it is good that you are doing these things keep up the good work!! Love ya!
Hey Stephanie, I just got your message on my myspace. So glad you found my blog.
And I am so impressed with your recycling!! I don't really know how the whole cloth diapering thing works... but I just don't know if I could do it. I am anxious to hear how it goes for you.
Adam is Mr. Scientist as well and talks about how we are on a cycle as well. We still do try to do what we can as far as recycling.
Post a Comment